Keeping mantids law

• Hello.

I´ve been quite intrigued about something lastly and that´s all what goes around the law about keeping insects and its sorrounding themes, as importing, exporting, etc. But mostly about just adquiring and keeping them.

I was wondering if you have any idea of how does this work in Germany and other countries. Germany seems very friendly with that, as it´s probably the country where this hobby is most developed. However, I don´t know how friendly the low actually is.

In the country where I live, as some others in Europe, they are turning quite restrictive and, in example, from now on, it will not be possible to buy any animal on a store but fishes, and a permit ( likely difficult to get and requiring very specific stuff, as an specific space to breed located far from the city ) will be required if you have more than 6 species ( of whatever ) living with you. In Italy, the government has approved a very restrictive list of exotic species.

So, how does it work in your country ? do you think the hobby is endangered ?

Regards.

• Hi,

yes and no.

Most regulations are just for vertabrates, even in Italy in my understanding.

Here its mostly, if the Insect is protected its hard(er), everything else is pretty much fair game.

But its getting more strict thats for sure, and i personaly am conflicted if thats a bad thing or not tbh.

Greetings Simon :P

Mantiden sind doch auch nur missgebildete Schaben.

:twisted:

Die Kultur von Honigbienen ist kein Naturschutz.

• Hello Simon !

Here, It mostly apply for vertebrates too. But if you read strictly the text of the law, It theorically applies for every single animal.

If It´s good or bad It´s a loong debate, but, personally I think It is good to have control on potencial pests, and protecting endangered species. However, this restrictions are, in my opinion, rather due to a political reason, related to " animalist" stuff. So the goal is rather to forbid, instead of controlling.

Anyway, I´m glad to hear over there the law is still very kind.

Best regards.

• Hi,

thing is: Inverts like mantids, phasmids, spiders and snails do not count as animal by law where we are. Most of our "Tierschutzgesetz" (animal protection law? animal welfare act? I'm not sure about the correct translation of this, sorry) is referring exclusively to vertebrate animals, with the only exception of chephalopods as sentient invertebrates (as they're f*cking smart obviously).

As most animal protection groups don't have any interest in small inverts and are more busy with trying to forbid horse carries in citys and transport of living animals for food production and stuff, I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way for some years at least.

-Kraehe

• Hi Kraehe!

Don´t worry about the translation stuff, It´s a pleasure for me that you all answer me in english within a German forum.

It´s good to hear that animalists there are not interested in insects. Here they are because they have an interest in feeder animals, and insectcs are very used in that field.

I hope the situation there keeps like that as long as possible.

Best regards.