Vomit due to house flies ?

• Hello to you all.

It has been a while since I entered here for the last time. Studying can be quite time-absorving hehehe.

This time I want to ask you if you ever had problems of vomit with mantids due to feed them with house flies. I feed the flies with honey, but some of my mantids seem to have vomit problems and I guess it,s when I feed them with flies. Specially my rhomboderas sp. indonesia. Also had this problem with some acanthops. Is it normal ? Where can be the problem ?

Thanks.

• Hi,

Yes if they are kept to humid they can lead to vomiting and death.

When there is water condensating in the box where you store the flies, maggots or castors its not ventilated enough.

If they are kept reasonable dry they should not lead to vomiting.

Greetings Simon :P

Mantiden sind doch auch nur missgebildete Schaben.

:twisted:

Die Kultur von Honigbienen ist kein Naturschutz.

• Wow. That´s quite interesting. Didn´t know it. Thanks Simon, you always are very helpful. caja moscas 2.jpg

However, I don´t know how can I keep them dryer. I´ll leave a pic of the enclosure where I got them. As you may see, It´s super ventilated. But the walls of the box look unclear. I don´t know if that,s humidity or it´s something the flies just do as they walk by the enclosure. In the roaches box, that doesn´t happen. If you see anything wrong on the box that I am not seeing at first sight it would be very helpful. Maybe change the honey cage or something ? ( it,s 3 days ) I also tend to dip a bit the flies in honey before giving them to the mantids for it to be more nutritive. Maybe I should stop doing that. Any help is super welcome.

• Hi,

That does seem dry enough. I assume the whole top is mesh?

If the paper towel on the ground is dry it should be alright.

Yeah do not dip the flies, its enough if the flies eat it. Water the honey down sufficently, if you offer the honey pure the flies tend to get grimey as the high sugar concentration dehydrates them.

You can offer fruit juice too, or fresh slices of fruit. Or sweet baby-food.

Greetings Simon :P

Mantiden sind doch auch nur missgebildete Schaben.

:twisted:

Die Kultur von Honigbienen ist kein Naturschutz.

• I see. That may be the problem. Dehydration because of the pure honey. I´ll change it and try back with all these advices. I´ll tell you how did it go. Thank you very much !