Fruchtbarkeitszeit

• Code
    1. Hallo,
    2. Mir wurde kürzlich gesagt, dass Mantiden etwa 2/3 Wochen (maximal 4) fruchtbar sind, nachdem sie ihre erwachsene Form erreicht haben. Ist das wahr ? Dann ist es sehr unwahrscheinlich, dass ich die meisten meiner Exemplare züchte, da die meisten Männchen bereits ausgewachsen sind, während die Weibchen frische Subadulte sind xd.
    3. Mit freundlichen Grüßen.

Hello,

I´ve been recently told about mantids are fertile for about 2/3 weeks ( 4 as maximum ) after reaching their adult form. Is this true ? Then, I am very unlikely to breed most of my specimens as most of the males are already adult while the females are fresh subadults xd.

Best regards.

• Hi,

no - they GET fertile when they're around 3-4 weeks adult.

Some species take a little longer - some are faster - it depends.

Only some species (like Hymenopus coronatus) are known for the males (but the males only, if I recall this correctly) start to lose interest in the females after they're adult for more than 5-6-ish weeks.

In theory mantids stay fertile until the day they die. (Practically it's not recommended to breed older mantids as there's a higher risk of them getting injured while mating, as well as older mantid girls often are not interested in breeding anymore and will just eat the male ;) ).

-Kraehe

• That´s exactly what I had thought till now. But recently I had problems to mate a couple of Rhombodera sp and someone told me that if they are 1 month old in adult, no matter I achieve mating them, the ooths will not be fertile. And that drove me crazy xD as it will be impossible for me to get all my males and females match at same moment of reaching the adult form.

• Thank you very very much Kraehe and Simon :!::!:I was really worried about that. I hope this post helps more people in the future who may have this doubt too.

Thanks,

best regards.